photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Maya Brenner Makes Stately, Fashionable Jewelry

I don't care what anyone says about NJ, it's my home and I love it! Sure, the state may not be as glamorous as others, but it's the only place I've ever known, and I'm proud to be from there (except on Thursdays, when Jersey Shore is on).

That's why I was beyond giddy when Maya Brenner Designs approached me to rock one of Maya's State Necklaces featuring the Garden State! I can't think of a better way to show your stateside pride than with her chic jewelry creations that have been a hit with celebrities, and have been featured in Lucky, People and even "Sex & The City"! Find your state and show off your pride

Here's a sneak peek at my upcoming outfit post featuring the NJ necklace...

Maya's jewelry is a mixture of versatile pieces that are timeless and fashionable. From her signature state pendants, to letters, signs of the zodiac and leaf charms, and not to mention bracelets, rings and earrings, women of all ages will fall in love with her designs.

Check out the interview I did with Maya, and read about how she became Hollywood's go-to gal for jewelry!

House Of Jeffers: Your State Necklaces are a huge hit among celebrities like Katy Perry, Anne Hathaway and Penelope Cruz, to name just a few. When did you know that you achieved what you set out to do?
Maya Brenner: It’s always exciting to open a magazine and see the jewelry on people I admire. Demi Moore was a huge one for me when she wore my jewelry in her first public appearance after her marriage to Ashton Kutcher. And when Eva Longoria placed an order on her own through our website for a Texas necklace.

Demi Moore wearing Maya Brenner Designs

HOJ: I love that your jewelry is so versatile and chic! What's one piece of jewelry you feel every woman should own?
MB: Every woman needs a delicate necklace that hits right below the neckline and can be worn everyday.  Wear it alone or layer it with other delicate pieces. Or, go bold and wear it with a longer chunkier necklace.

Photo courtesy Maya Brenner Designs
HOJ: Did you always set out to be a jewelry designer, or were you on a different career path?
MB: I was a social worker, working with drug-addicted adolescents and started making jewelry at night to calm my nerves. I wore the necklaces and started getting stopped in the street with people asking to buy them and a business was born!
I did both jobs for a while since I was nervous that I would be able to support myself. Luckily or (unluckily) I wasn’t making that much money as a social worker so I didn’t need to sell too many necklaces to match that! Within a year I quit my full-time job and launched MBD.

HOJ: Being that you're a full-fledged jewelry designer, do you ever feel as though the fun of creating your pieces and the fact that you're a business owner, conflicts with each other?
MB: Great Question! Absolutely…that was the hardest thing to get used to.  I used to design with no regard to cost or sourcing.  That doesn’t work anymore when there is a retail price that needs to be affordable or when we are selling thousands of one design.  Sometimes I laugh because everyone thinks that being a jewelry designer is so glamorous-which it is sometimes. But other times-there’s deadlines and stresses just like in every business.
  

HOJ: What do you think will be a big trend for jewelry this Fall?
MB: Stacks of layering bracelets of all different styles and materials. It’s all about the Arm Party!

HOJ: Who are some of your favorite jewelry designers?
MB: Mizuki and Monique Pean Atelier are doing some very unique stuff right now. And the craftsmanship of Ten Thousand Things is amazing.
HOJ: Can you give us a sneak peek of what you're working on now?
MB: Yes! I’m loving this dainty pod necklace that has some irregular shaped gold pieces soldered into the chain, and am also loving this new long delicate piece with the geometric shape pendant. So far we’ve made them with squares, circles and triangles. So fun to wear, and the length is super sexy.  Should be added to the website sometime in the Fall.
Photo courtesy of Maya Brenner Designs

No comments: